A Seafarer Discharge Book (SDB) is issued to any bona fide seafarer serving, or wishing to serve, on a Cayman Islands ship. The SDB forms a record of the seafarer’s sea service, but is not a Seafarer Identity Document issued in accordance with the ILO Seafarer’s Identity Documents Convention, 1958 ( C108 as revised by C185).
To apply for a Seafarer Discharge Book you will need to:
- Complete the required Application Form;
- Enclose a copy of any Certificate of Competency held (including “Yachting Qualifications”);
- Enclose copies of your valid STCW “Basic Training” certificates issued under STCW Chapter VI (Emergency, occupational safety, security, medical care and survival functions). As a minimum you must hold the following certificates of proficiency –
- Personal survival techniques;
- Fire prevention and fire fighting;
- Elementary first aid; and
- Personal safety and social responsibilities;
- Enclose a copy of your current passport (you do not need to send your original passport);
- Enclose a copy of your valid Seafarer Medical Certificate; and
- Send two original passport style photographs.
Please note that you do not need to send the original certificates; only the photographs and application form are to be originals. A list of Administrations whose Seafarer Medical Certificates are accepted for service on a Cayman Islands ship can be found in the latest revision of Shipping Notice 05/2011. Full details of the application process and the required supporting documentation can be found on the Application Form itself.