Skip to main content

The ship I am going to join has been issued with a Minimum Safe Manning Document which requires a Second Engineer holding a R.III/2 (Y2) Certificate of Competency. May I obtain some form of dispensation since I possess a MCA C/Eng Y4 (III/3) Certificate o

Article VIII of the STCW Convention 1978, as amended, regulates the issue of a dispensation by a Flag State, however, the Convention stresses “in circumstances of exceptional necessity” and therefore a continuing difficulty to crew a vessel with fully-qualified personnel does not qualify for dispensation.